Red Hills Triathlon - March 2006
Well, after three months of hard training, the day has arrived for my first Triathlon. Funny how all of this started so I could have my cake and eat it too. I began running and weights during the last week of the boy's 2005 school year, and by race day I had lost almost forty pounds.
I never considered triathlon's until my friend Robert suggested I try Red Hills. I knew he had competed in numerous races, but being out of shape, well I was in shape, just not the right shape. Anyway, as I had changed my shape and conditioning, I felt it was worth a shot. Swim 1/3 mike, Bike 16 miles and Run 3.1 miles.
Here's a shot of me and some buddies, Steve and Grady, pre-race,(Grady's the one with the big pecks).

So, here I am, six AM and heading to transition at Lake Hall in Maclay Gardens, air temperature a balmy 32, made the water feel warm. I thought I wasn't ready for the swim, but I came out in 9th(9:57), out of 18 in my age group, not bad eh?
Once on the bike, I settled down and had fun,(after watching some super fast experienced riders pass) and enjoyed the ride. I had to remember I'm a newbie and to race my race.
The run was easier than I thought, it was actually the fasted 5k I had run, which was after a swim and a bike, so I was pleased.
Overall, I placed 171st out of 254, (1:43:24) so I was well pleased and will have a time to shoot for in 2007.
Thanx to my wife Robyn, my sons Josh and Taylar, all of my training partners and the FCU for continual support and encouragement.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home